There was no rest for the wicked Sunday morning as junior 1-3 year players from across the city rode up to the club for the 6th annual Great Western Showdown.
Instigated in 2018 by Sammy Sattler, the tournament provides an opportunity for players at the start of their bowling career to compete against contemporaries without any fear of facing any veteran bowl-slingers.
The day went well with some great bowls being played in a positive atmosphere on and off the green.
The folks who collected their rewards:
1st: Ryan Hawthorne, Ryan Hill, & Jhanna Savov (Mt Albert) 4 wins, 24 ends, 56 pts.
2nd: Allan McQuid, Wayne Harris, & Kerry Greenhaigh (Orewa) 4 Wins, 23 ends, 52 pts.
3rd: David Weir, Lee Singer, & Nicole Singer (Royal Oak) 3 Wins, 25 ends, 44 pts.
Thanks are due to
- Our major Sponsor James, Kerry and the team from Barfoot and Thompson Glen Eden for their continuing support for the Great Western and other events at the club
- Ran Randeniya for donating 3 Waihiki Island Day tour tickets which were raffled off.
- Tassprint for donating some spot prizes
- Yvonne for topping up the prize pool on the day
- The players who entered from Royal Oak, Pt Chev, Orewa, Hobsonville, Mairangi Bay, Block House Bay, Rocky Nook, Epsom, and of course our own players.
- Our grounds keeper Andrew for preparing the green
- Our match committe Sharon and Janet
- The Kitchen Volunteers for feeding everyone
- Roscoe for looking after music on the green.
- and all the other volunteers from the club who helped out on the day.